School Choice Intradistrict Transfers

*** The School Choice application window for the 2024-2025 school year is now closed.

About Intradistrict Transfers

Typically, students attend the schools that serve the neighborhood attendance areas in which they live. However, EUSD does provide attendance options for parents and students in order to help meet the diverse needs and interests of students within the district. Students may apply for a School Choice Intradistrict Transfer to any school in the district.

  • By law, School Choice Intradistrict Transfers are approved on the basis of space availability at the school(s) of desired attendance. Each year, the district determines each school’s capacity based on the Elementary and Secondary Education Act guidelines, programmatic considerations, and each site’s facilities and staffing. Submitting an application for School Choice does not guarantee enrollment in the desired school(s).

  • Students who submit a school choice application by January 31 will be included in a random, unbiased lottery drawing. You will be notified by email in April regarding the results of the lottery.

  • Your child’s application either will be approved or placed on a waiting list following the School Choice lottery. You will receive notification as to when the wait list is closed for the current school year, and you will be provided information as to how to submit a School Choice application for the following year.

  • A separate application must be completed for each student who is applying for School Choice.

  • A student who has a sibling(s) who is already attending a school of choice must also apply for School Choice and be approved in order to have the siblings attend the same choice school.

  • Students who attend another school under the School Choice option are not provided transportation.

  • If you would like to learn more about a specific EUSD school before submitting your application, you can visit our schools page.

Have questions or need assistance?

Questions regarding the School Choice Intradistrict Transfer process should be directed to Integrated Student Supports at 760-432-2247. Any parent who does not have Internet access will be provided assistance at your child’s school.

Interdistrict Transfers

About Interdistrict Transfers

In accordance with an agreement between the Board of Education and the board of another district, a permit authorizing a student’s attendance outside his/her district of residence may be issued upon approval of both the district of residence and the district of proposed attendance. The following details the procedure for requesting an Interdistrict Attendance Permit per EUSD Board Policy 5117 and Administrative Regulation 5117.

Interdistrict Attendance Permit Application Process

EUSD will accept transfer requests for the current school year, at any point during that school year beginning 15 days prior to the first day of the school year.

EUSD will accept transfer requests for the subsequent school year from February 1 through April 30.

  • Parent/guardian obtains the application for Interdistrict Attendance Permit (SDCOE form 341) from the district of residence. Complete the child care/employment verification only if the interdistrict transfer is being requested due to child care and/or employment reasons.

  • Complete all sections of Part A of the Interdistrict Attendance Permit (SDCOE Form 341) and fill in the reason for request in the space provided. Sign the request.

    • If the request for transfer is employment related, verification of employment is needed.

    • If the request for transfer is child care related, verification of child care is needed.

  • Your completed form(s) can be sent to the Escondido Union School District, at email address is, the forms can be dropped off at our District Office at 2310 Aldergrove Avenue, Escondido, CA 92029, or can be faxed to (760) 233-4308.  If faxed, please put Attn: IDT   

    • If you have any questions, you may contact Integrated Student Support at 760-432-2247.

  • Obtain signature release approval from the authorized school district administrator of the district of residence.

  • Take or mail the original signed request form to the district in which you are applying for your child to attend. Faxed or emailed copies will not be accepted.

    • All new Interdistrict Attendance Permit requests into EUSD require that you attach record of the student’s current and previous year grades, attendance, and discipline. If your student is on an Individual Education Program (IEP), EUSD will need a hard copy of the current IEP attached to the original Interdistrict Attendance Permit.

  • Parent/guardian will be notified by email or U.S. mail of the final decision of the Interdistrict Attendance Permit from the district of proposed attendance.

  • Students moving from one school level to another (elementary to middle or middle to high school) will need to reapply for an Interdistrict Attendance Permit to continue to the next level.

  • Should the student’s home address change, the parent will need to reapply for an Interdistrict Attendance Permit to reflect the new address and submit to the district of residence.

  • Should the student’s residence change from one district to another, the parent will need to apply to the new district of residence to remain in the district of desired attendance.

  • Students found to be using fraudulent addresses or students who have moved outside the EUSD boundaries without submitting an Interdistrict Attendance Permit within 30 days of the change of residence will be disenrolled.

Interdistrict Attendance Permit Request Timelines

  • The districts involved will notify the parent/guardian by email or U.S. mail of the decision within the timeframes specified herein.

  • Education Code 46601 provides the following timeframes for notification:

    • For requests submitted during the regular school year, districts shall respond within 30 days of submitting the request.

    • For requests submitted for admission in the subsequent school year up to 30 days prior to the start of the subsequent regular school year, districts shall respond within 14 calendar days after the start of the school year.

  • While your application is pending, the student must attend school in the district of residence, a charter school, a private school, or other option complying with California compulsory education requirement

  • The failure of a parent/guardian to meet any timelines established by the school district shall be deemed an abandonment of the request. [Ed Code 46600.2]

  • If an Interdistrict Attendance Permit is denied, a parent/guardian has the right to appeal, in writing, to the Director of the Integrated Student Supports Department  within 30 days of the denial. If that appeal is denied, a parent/guardian has the right to an appeal meeting with the Director. If the appeal is again denied, a parent has 30 calendar days to appeal to the County Board of Education

Interdistrict Attendance Permit Approvals

EUSD may approve an interdistrict attendance permit for a student for any of the following reasons:

  • When the parent/guardian is employed within the boundaries of the district of desired attendance. Verification by the employer must be submitted with the application.

  • When the student has been determined by staff of either the district of residence or district of proposed attendance to be a victim of an act of bullying as defined in Education Code 48900.

  • To meet the child care needs of the student. Such a student may be allowed to continue to attend district schools only as long as he/she continues to use a child care provider within district boundaries. Verification by the childcare provided must be submitted with the application.

  • To meet the student’s special mental or physical health needs as certified by a physician, school psychologist, or other appropriate school personnel.

  • When the student has a sibling attending school in the receiving district, to avoid splitting the family’s attendance.

  • To allow the student to complete a school year when his/her parents/guardians have moved out of the district during that year.

  • To allow the student to remain with a class graduating that year from an elementary or middle school.

  • When the parent/guardian provides written evidence that the family will be moving into the district in the immediate future and would like the student to start the year in the district.

  • When the student will be living out of the district for one year or less.

  • When there is valid interest in a particular educational program not offered in the district of residence.

  • To provide a change in school environment for reasons of personal and social adjustment

School assignment will be at the discretion of the receiving district and contingent upon space availability.

An Interdistrict Attendance Permit is valid only while conditions of the permit are maintained. The permit may be revoked by the granting district for failure to comply with expectations of attendance, and positive behavior (e.g. chronic absenteeism, disciplinary events).